Skip to main content

Spiritual Mass and Energy

Einstein's equation E = MC2 has rightly become perhaps the most famous formula in physics.

However what is greatly overlooked is that - when appropriately interpreted in an integral scientific fashion - it has equal relevance from a psychospiritual perspective.

So from one perspective, all psychological "mass" in the accumulation of varied perceptions and concepts can be transformed into spiritual energy in the attainment of pure contemplative awareness.

Equally however all such spiritual energy can be subsequently reduced in the experience of phenomena of form.

It struck me forcibly at the weekend that spirit and matter are therefore of equal importance in experience.

However in practice this is rarely recognised.

On the one hand we have those who give primacy to matter leading - literally - to the materialistic perspective on life and advocacy of secular values (devoid of religious influence).

On the other hand we have those who give primacy to spirit which is generally identified with the religious vision. In extremes, matter is often seen from this perspective in many respects as inherently evil. Even when a legitimate role for matter is recognised it is rarely properly integrated with spirit.

Indeed to be honest when I look back on my earlier adult life, I now realise that it was dominated by a somewhat unbalanced emphasis on spirit where In effect I saw the purpose of life as the need to successfully transcend the material world.

However it was only slowly that I have come to realise that it is equally important to make spirit immanent in the world of matter (thereby realising its true purpose).

So true transformation of spirit (in transcendence of matter) cannot be ultimately divorced from the equal need for true transformation of the world (whereby spirit becomes properly immanent in matter).

When I look at the great Western religions (including of course Christianity) I now am of the belief that they are unduly transcendent in nature. Not surprisingly such religions then often find themselves in conflict with the secular world with no hope of subsequently reconciling the clash of values thereby arising.

And if what I am am saying is broadly true, then this problem cannot be solved through seeking to be true to the spirit of its founders (for the very point here is that such a spirit represents an unduly transcendent perspective!)

I have tended to concentrate - as befits my own personality and limitations - on just one aspect of this needed reconciliation i.e. between religion and science.

Success in this regard, I have argued, is based on two key requirements.

1. the demytholigisation of religious understanding and

2. the "spiritualisation" of science in the recognition of its hidden qualitative dimension.

Ultimately the three great pathways to truth through the arts, science and religion are designed to complement each other in a seamless integrated fashion.

The fact that this is clearly not the case at present only serves to highlight the unduly fragmented manner in which the "big three" are generally viewed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Dawkins: An Appetite for Reductionism

I completed recently the first part of Richard Dawkins' Biography "An Appetite for Wonder: The Making of a Scientist: a memoir". In fact - due to its ready availability in my local library - I had read the 2nd part "Brief Candle in the Dark" earlier. In many way I found the first part more interesting as it provided insight into how Dawkins  came to adopt his particular view of science. Though some might describe his earlier life in Africa as idyllic, I would not see it that way. Certainly it provided a range of interesting experiences, but it seems to me have been a somewhat unsettled and lonely existence. This was compounded by the fact that Dawkins comes across as an unusually sensitive child with a very trusting nature. And this trust was severely tested as he tried to adapt to the many uncertainties of his world. It is very revealing in this context that Dawkins frequently admonishes his younger self for his "childhood gullibility"

Overwhelming Gratitude

I mentioned before in a previous blog entry " My Prayer " how a return for funeral to the seaside town Portstewart, some five years ago was associated with an important mystical experience. Just recently, I had cause to return again to Portstewart to attend the wedding of one of my northern relatives. On this occasion, as I strolled down the promenade with my sister, I was filled with an unexpected sadness in the mourning of my two parents (who had always accompanied me as a child to Portstewart on holiday visits).  I was filled with an ardent longing to see them once again and reminisce about former times, which of course was no longer possible. However as I experienced anew how much they had meant to me, slowly the feeling of grief turned to an overwhelming gratitude for the wonderful gift of life, which I owe to my parents. And in my heart I now said repeatedly "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for everything, for the uniqueness of this life, the profound

Return to Alagoa

I have always enjoyed short holidays as a welcome break from the daily routine. Even the negative experiences that inevitably occur while away can enable one to forget normal concerns. For many years now I have been accustomed to visit the Algarve, usually west of Faro near Albufeira. However this year I was based on the eastern side close to Faro in Olhao.   The only other time I had been on this side was some 21 years ago when I stayed in a small seaside resort, which at that time was known as Alagoa (now Altura). I do not remember a great deal regarding that previous visit. However the opening day still stands out in my memory (but alas for the wrong reasons). Though due to depart on an early morning flight there was a significant delay (of 90 minutes or so before boarding). When eventually boarding commenced, I asked a flight attendant the reason for the delay and was told that it was due to a tyre puncture. When we were all seated another significant de